Link up with Boston

Today we did a link-up with a school in Boston. They were on holidays so there were only 2 students and a teacher online talking to us. They all had a webcam and talked to us.  I had to answer most of the questions on my mic.

Who was in your classroom today? Mrs Leo, Will and Caitlin

What did you learn?

• I learnt that  on the 4th of July they celebrate Independence Day which was the day they became independent from the British.
  • They have a big parade with clowns, floats with stuff on them and horses with soldiers on them.
  • They wear big hats and ballon hats.
  • Where Will was from all the kids got dressed up and a fire truck would go down the street and look at them all.
  • They also play a lot of Baseball on the 4th of July and in the spring and summer time.
  • They have picnics and barbeques to celebrate. On teh 4th of July common food to eat was hot dogs, hamburgers and watermelon.

What is the equivalent celebration in Australia? Australia Day

Your evaluation of the lesson – successful, challenges, problems, style of teaching. This was one link up that there wasn’t many problems or challenges. Some people couldn’t get on because the room was full but that was easily solved. My mic worked which sometimes we have a problem with but not this time! I really enjoy doing link-ups you learn so much but at the same time you’re having fun.

resized Boston foto

3 thoughts on “Link up with Boston

1. Hi Georgia,
    I’m glad that we were able to join you on Sunday night. Will and Caitlin had their first chance to visit Australia. They were very excited! They practiced turning on the webcam from their home and cottage a few days before to be sure that it worked. They practiced adjusting the cam and the lighting so that you were able to see them. It was fun to see that while they are on summer vacation there are other students around the globe who are in school. I think that they were surprised with your mild winter weather. Here we two or three snow days each year. A snow day is always celebrated by the students! They often sleep a little later in the morning and since they don’t have school on a snow day, they go outside to make snowmen, forts or help to shovel the snow. Thanks for telling us a little about your holiday foods, sport and weather there. Enjoy your winter.

2. Hi Georgia,
    Thanks for your comments about our virtual visit. We enjoyed visiting your school in Hawkesdale through the Discovere classroom. I thought it was really neat that you had visitors working on the video in your room while we were talking. On occasion I caught glimpses of the boom and the photographer. One of my favorite parts of the Fourth Of July is watching the Boston Pops Orchestra on the Esplanade. People start gathering for the concert very early in the morning and stay there all day to be sure that they have a good view. It is very crowded at the concert but it’s lots of fun to be in the middle of all of that excitement. I hope that we meet you again sometime. Enjoy your day.

3. I am glad you enjoy this type of experience, as I am sure that it will be the class of the future.It is great when you have fun when you learn. Thank you for being willing to use the microphone and talk to the USA class. It was great that they gave up their holiday time to talk to us, wasnt it?