We, Our Digital Selves and Us

Created by Alan Levine @cogdog http://cogdogblog.com as the Keynote video for Flat Classroom Project 12-1 and NetGenEd Project 2012.

Alan is widely recognized for expertise in the application of new technologies to education and was a pioneer on the web. An early proponent of blogs and RSS, he shares his ideas and discoveries at CogDogBlog. More recently he has explored new forms of web storytelling (including 50+ Web 2.0 Ways To Tell a Story and the StoryBox), and tools for connecting and open sharing online.

Currently he is an instructional technology specialist at the University of Mary Washington, following leadership positions at the New Media Consortium and the Maricopa Community Colleges. When possible, he enjoys the peace of a little cabin in Strawberry, Arizona. His interests include digital storytelling, digital photography, bending WordPress to his whims, and randomly dipping into the inifinte river of the internet.

• Is there a clear demarcation between who you are online and elsewhere?

I am a different person online compared to who I am elsewhere. Everything I say online I edit and think about whereas I don’t do that in real life. I believe people online are who they want to be not who they are.

• What parts of you are people missing out on if they do not interact with the online you?

People who don’t interact with me online don’t miss out on anything. I believe it’s the people who only interact with me online miss out on the real me.

It’s hard to show your whole personality online. Every time I post something online I edit and thoroughly think about what I say before posting which means that my personality doesn’t always show. When I’m interacting with someone in real life I can’t edit what I say and I say what I’m feeling.

People who I interact with online don’t get to really know the real me. I don’t post my whole life on the internet meaning they won’t know the same information people who know me in real life will.

• Why (or why not) should you manage your own personal cyber infrastructure? What does this mean to you?
  • Who are we in this space where the online world is not something distinctly separate?